Critical Facilities Summit: The IT-FM Connection
This session will offer real-world examples that demonstrate how changes in IT equipment, cloud computing, density, and rack space must be met with accurate changes in cooling, power and space by the facility management. Attendees will review case studies highlighting what can go wrong when IT and data center facility management do not work together, learn which areas of IT actually do–and do not–impact the data center, and what should be included in a cloud strategy.
1. Identify who needs to be involved to understand the effects of change in the facility
2. Understand what information is needed by data center facility management
3. Learn how to prepare for the challenges and interdependencies both sides face
4. Review best practices to communicate risks and develop efficient plans
Start Time: 2:15 PM
End Time: 3:15 PM
Critical Facilities Summit
Critical Facilities Summit: Can We Talk? What FM Team Should Know About IT (and Vice Versa
Conflict continues to persist between IT and FM departments, and it goes both ways: IT teams don’t loop FM teams into their plans, and FM doesn’t include IT in theirs. This panel features representatives from both departments in a discussion about what each side should know about the other, and how they can better collaborate on everything from new equipment installations, changes in capacity, the transition to cloud or colo, equipment maintenance, scheduled (and unscheduled) downtime, and energy efficiency initiatives.
Start Time: 8:30 AM
End Time: 9:45 AM
Critical Facilities Summit
QTS Chicago Lunch Tour – Cloud 101
Join QTS and Excipio for a private seminar on today’s issues related to understanding the methodology to making a proper cloud strategy. During the event, network with local professionals and discuss the benefits and capabilities surrounding the cloud. At this event, Jeff Gilmer, a well-known national speaker on data centers and the cloud, present some key findings, strategies and options for identifying your options and strategies to making a cloud decision. Don’t miss this opportunity to get answers to all your cloud questions from leading industry experts. RSVP today to reserve your spot!
Don’t miss this opportunity to get answers to questions like:
What should be included in a cloud strategy?
- Can I really close my data center and move everything to the cloud?
- How do I make sure all the components for a cloud solution have been evaluated before making a cloud decision?
- Is cloud really what the vendors are describing?
Start Time: TBA
End Time: TBA
2800 S. Ashland Ave
Chicago, IL 60608
Build vs. Buy: Determining your Data Center Future
Join Jeff Gilmer in a thought leading discussion regarding the changing landscape of the data center, do we build or do we buy? It seems like a never ending question and with the increasing number of potential solutions in the data center area, how do even begin to determine what is right for our Organization. There are so many options related to the data center facilities, which can create a confusing situation for those who are faced with the decision on how to manage their data center environment. The workshop will focus on many of these options, and discuss the pros and cons of each.
Issues explored include:
Our Current Data Center
- How to determine when it makes sense to improve, upgrade and maintain our current facility?
- How do we deal with an aging data center?
- How to calculate when we will run into issues with our current facility?
- What is the actual cost of operation of our facility and what do we need to take into account?
Upgrading our Current Data Center
- What are the industry options for upgrading our outdated facility? How do we deal with increased demand?
- What are the critical factors to evaluate prior to making the decision to upgrade?
- When does it make sense not to upgrade?
- Is there a way to utilizing the data center facility without making upgrades?
- What really is a colocation service?
- What are the differences between colocation service providers?
- What you need to know before asking a colocation provider for a proposal?
- How long of a commitment should we expect to make with a colocation provider?
- Contracts, key points, risks, terms and expectations in negotiations.
Building a New Data Center
- How do I properly size my new data center?
- Is my company willing to make a long term financial commitment?
- What are all the categories we need to take into account when constructing a new facility?
- Learn about the key risks most companies miss in a new data center build.
- What are the real costs associated with the design and build of a new data center?
- What does cloud really mean and how does this impact my data center?
- Learn the differences between public, private and hybrid cloud solutions.
- Understand the criteria between Software as a Service (SaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- What is the process our organization needs through to move to a cloud solution?
Learning Objectives: 1. Understand how to accurately assess an organization’s future data center strategy 2. Analyze options such as a long-term commitment to building a data center versus utilizing a current hosted facility 3. Learn how to adequately plan for data center capacity 4. Discuss common issues with consolidating servers, storage equipment and power needs and limitations
Trends in Data Center Recoverability
Data center operators should know the differences between–and similarities among–plans addressing emergency management, continuing operations, business continuance, and disaster recovery. This webcast illustrates necessary steps to a successful planning process, and addresses how to best prioritize the recovery of an organization’s services. Attendees will understand the including facilities, IT, financial and resources required to recover from a critical incident.
Learning Objectives: 1. Identify the differences between an emergency management, continuing operations, business continuance, or disaster recovery plan 2. Understand the steps to creating a successful recovery plan 3. Learn how to prioritize the recovery of an organization’s services 4. Understand what is required to recover those services including facilities, IT, financial and resources
Start Time: 3:30:00 PM End Time: 4:30:00 PM
Location: Charlotte Convention Center Room 501 S. College St. Charlotte, NC 28202
Room Number: 207A
Presented by: Jeff Gilmer Senior Partner Excipio Consulting